Thurs Update

I went back to the hospital tonight and got some very good news. I talked with one of the pulmonary specialists(Jose)and he is very happy with her progress. He spent about 3 hours on Tuesday night working on her after they put the chest tube in for her collapsed lung and got her saturation percentage up to 95%. I know I posted about this before but I hadn’t talked to him directly. He and the nurses are now very happy with where Kitty is in terms of her oxygen intake. Before Tuesday night they were much more concerned. He cautioned me that he only has an opinion on her pulmonary status and can’t say anything about her overall status, and that she will be in intensive care for quite a while longer. They were able to drop the oxygen percentage that they are pumping into her to 95% so things are definitely looking up.

They also lowered the sedatives that they are giving Kitty so she is actually somewhat responsive now. She tried to open her eyes when I talked to her and she definitely knew I was in the room. The nurses say that she can have visitors but don’t want her to see too many people in a day because she is still very weak. Please don’t go up and see her yet. When she is stronger I will let you know but I am very pleased with how she is doing.

Clarification on last post

I re-read my post and I want to make one thing perfectly clear. I don’t think that Kitty has suffered any brain damage. Kitty’s parents are staying with me and are both hearing impaired so we do a lot of communcation by typing. When they read what I wrote they were very concerned. I phrased that badly and want to make sure that no one thinks that this is going to be a problem.

Wed Update 3

Latest on Kolfinna. Nothing new to report. I went and saw her this morning. Her Oxygen percentage is at 92%, which is marginally higher than last night and all her vital signs are stable. They still haven’t gotten results back for what her infection is. At this point we just wait. Thanks for all your support and concern. I will let you all know when things change.

Wed Update 2

Yet another update. Kitty’s numbers are steadily improving. She is now between 94 and 95% on her blood saturation and I think that they lowered the pressure again. I am not yet sure how to read all the machines that she is on but I think that she is set for 25 for pressure (PSI?) I’m not sure what she was at before and the nurse I talked to couldn’t tell me without suiting up to go into her room. I will try to find out tomorrow and let you know. There is still nothing new on the infectious disease side since they are sending all of the samples to the CDC and it takes time to grow all the cultures. Because of this, I am fixating on all the pulmonary stuff. Her numbers are getting better and I am feeling optimistic. I will keep posting things as I find them out. Please cross post this to all concerned.   – Sven

Sven’s Status

For all those who are worried for Sven, know that I am staying with him until Kitty returns (and possibly beyond if I am needed) to make sure that he is taken care of.  I am fortunate that I can work from home in my job.  I am also fortunate that Sven’s care and feeding instructions are pretty easy ;-)

I have been visiting Kitty several times every day since she went in and will continue to do so for the duration.

Sven will continue posting status updates as he receives the information and I will continue to forward them to the lists that I have been sending them to.

Keep them both in your thoughts/prayers/hearts.

~Auggie

Tues Update 2

Good news. I went back to the hospital tonight and talked to the pulmonary specialist about Kitty’s oxygen saturation percentage. It is currently at 90% and he was able to drop the oxygen pressure down a bit.  He would like it to be higher but to make it higher they have to increase the oxygen pressure which is hard on the lungs. He says brain damage is permanent but lungs can be repaired so they will do whatever it takes to keep her at 90%+, but now they have some leeway and they can lower the pressure to help her start to heal.  I will see her again tomorrow morning and give everyone an update. Please forward this post to any group that you think that it should be on.

1st Post

To all of Kolfinna’s friends. I know that there are many stories and rumors floating around about Kitty’s condition so I thought that I would let everybody know what is going on.

Kitty was hospitalized early Sunday morning and is now in the Intensive Care unit at the Antelope Valley Hospital.  She was not feeling well on Sunday at Highland war so after her pelican ceremony we (me actually) packed everything up and came home. On Monday I took her to urgent care where she was diagnosed with a fever. She was given an IV of saline to help her dehydration and was sent home to rest. She stayed home from work last week and on Thursday her cough was getting worse so we went back to urgent care to get some prescription cough medicine.  At urgent care she was re-examined and given a chest x-ray and was diagnosed with pneumonia. She was given prescriptions for antibiotics and a codeine based cough medicine. She took her prescriptions but her cough kept getting worse. She also did not react well with the codeine medicine so her condition worsened. On Saturday night her pulse rate increased dramatically and her cough was getting even worse, so we went to urgent care for the 3rd time. When they checked her in, her vitals were not good. Her pulse was 130 bpm and her blood pressure was low. They also measured her blood oxygen saturation level and it was around 60% (95% is considered normal).  The nurse put her on oxygen and her level got a bit better, but after 3 hours they had her breathing  pure oxygen and her level was only reaching 85%.  She was given steroids, more IVs and quite a few antibiotics. She also had another chest x-ray that showed that the pneumonia had gotten worse. At ten PM it was decided that she needed to be transported to the hospital.

In the emergency room she was put on positive pressure oxygen mask that actually pushes oxygen into your lungs. This raised her oxygen percentage but caused her a lot of pain. At 3 AM the emergency room doctor decided to put Kitty on a Ventilator, a tube that is pushed down your throat and pumps oxygen directly into your lungs. Since this is a painful, invasive procedure, Kitty was sedated and is now sleeping constantly and will be until they remove the tube.  Over the last 2 days Kitty has been seen by many doctors but currently it is not known exactly what infection she has. The doctors are treating her with many antibiotics and trying to keep her oxygen level as high as possible. Last night she suffered from a collapsed lung and they put a tube in to help fight that. Since then her oxygen percentage has gone up and is now ranging between 89 and 92%.  This is not as high as the doctors would like but it is much better then her numbers on Monday.

Currently her vital signs are pretty good and she is sedated and holding her own.  She is effectively unconscious and the hospital is discouraging her from having too many visitors.  I will keep everyone posted and will let you know of any changes.   Please cross post this to any list that you think that it should be on.    –   Sven